Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The 365 Day Movie Challenge: The First 100

Today I realized that I had just watched my 101st movie. Kind of a big deal for me in a sad and depressing kind of way, knowing that I've spent that much time watching movies since the start of the year 2013.
Oh, I should mention that those 101 movies have been watched since the beginning of the year. One for each day. There are currently 840 total since the start of 2010.
So yeah. Lotsa movies.
I figure I might update people on what I've watched in these first 100 days if anyone is interested. Here it goes. 

I've watched SEVEN samurai movies (not including Seven Samurai), THREE back-to-back Daniel Day-Lewis movies (My Left Foot, In the Name of the Father,  and The Last of the Mohicans), 14 foreign language films from Korean to Japanese to French to Spanish, THREE Kevin Smith movies (Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Clerks II, and Red State), and THREE Ryan Gosling Movies (Half-Nelson, Blue Valentine, and The Place Beyond the Pines).
I also watched a bunch of indie movies that came out within the past couple of years. They're short and good to watch if I don't have a lot of time. The shortest movie I watched ran at 67 minutes, which was Killer's Kiss.
Movie #100 was Darren Aronofsky's Pi. Very good movie. 9/10.
But if I had to rank the top 5 movies from the last 100 days, it would look something like this.

5. Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
Fantastic revenge flick from the always excellent Park Chan-wook. You can't go wrong with this guy, he always manages to make thought provoking films, even if they seem a bit extreme. Strong performances and a strong ending put this movie high up.

4. Take Shelter
Unquestionably Michael Shannon's best performance in a film to date. While the set-up isn't terribly exciting, the execution is brilliant, with a completely unforgettable ending that makes up for any mishaps along the way.

3. Moon
Can we give Sam Rockwell some damned recognition already? This guy does all the work in this intelligent sci-fi mystery. Thought provoking and well crafted that is only made better by Rockwell's sensational performance.

2. Harakiri
The best samurai movie I have seen to date. Constantly keeps you guessing and on your toes. It goes into some seriously emotional territory, and it's just a damn fine piece of filmmaking.

1. Blue Valentine
My only impression going into this movie was when my grandma told me "I don't like it, it has a sad ending." Not all movies have to have a happy ending. Blue Valentine reminds me that not every story has a happy ending, even if none of the characters win in the end of the story. It's a tragedy. We don't see enough tragedies in film today. Yeah, we might see movies that are sad, but ultimately someone in the end will come up with something positive from their experience. This movie says "fuck that" and nobody gets a happy ending. And that's why I love it.

Honorable mentions include:
Man on the Moon
Pi
Y Tu Mamá También
My Left Foot
Escape from Alcatraz

So yeah, I'll throw something up when my overall list hits 1000, which should happen sometime in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment