Saturday, May 10, 2014

I'M BACK! - A brief update on my hiatus

HELLOOOOOO!!!

Long time no see! I think that this is the longest hiatus I've taken from posting. It's been TWO FREAKIN MONTHS since I've written here, so give me a chance to explain. It's for a good reason, I swear. 

About six weeks ago, I got a text from a good friend informing about an opening for a job at Columbia College Chicago's newspaper, The Columbia Chronicle. The Chronicle is America's #1 non-daily college newspaper. It's true because it says so on their business cards. Plus, they have a TON of award plaques hanging in the waiting room. That shit straight up lines the walls.

The open position in question was for a new FILM CRITIC so I threw my hat in the ring with this blog LITERALLY being my only qualification. Within 24 hours after getting the text from my friend, I had sent an email to the associate editor, booked an interview, and was commissioned to write a review of Captain America: The Winter Soldier for the following week's paper. 

I felt like Jeremy Lin - from D-League to hitting jump-shots over Kobe Bryant in no time at all. It was unreal.

Although my articles in the Chronicle don't read quite like they do here, they are professionally written and published, which is far more impressive than this blog. That being said, editing at the Chronicle is far more intense (and surprisingly fun) than editing here... which is practically nonexistent. They're just two totally different beasts. 

It was a phenomenal five weeks of writing and hopefully I'll be back to it again in the fall, but now that it's summer... BACK TO THE BLOG!

So yeah, the reason I haven't written here in two months is because I've been writing for the newspaper, which takes a huge chunk of my time. Now that it's summer, I'm back to my mostly usual shenanigans here at Weitzel Talks About Movies, which is going to get a makeover when I have some free time. 

Once school ends in the next few days, I'll be doing regular postings when I see movies. Because this blog is kind of getting a reboot, I'll be changing up my signature "no-bullshit" writing style to a hybrid of my Chronicle writings to my blog writings. 

We'll see how it works... and that's the end of the update. 

I can't wait to get back to writing my usual reviews. It's been great working at the Chronicle and I hope to work for them in the fall, but for now, let's have some good 'ol fashioned Weitzel-style fun. 

See you guys at the movies, 

- Josh R. Weitzel





No comments:

Post a Comment