Sunday, November 17, 2013

MOVIE OF THE WEEK - November 17th, 2013

OKAY so I want to try something called MOVIE OF THE WEEK. Back when I started writing this blog, I talked about some movies that weren't current, just stuff that I liked. Then I just focused on new stuff in theaters. I do feel like sometimes I should talk about older movies in some capacity, so I'm starting this new thing with a boring name called MOVIE OF THE WEEK which for some reason is in all caps. Beats me. But it's just a thing where I talk BRIEFLY about these movies because I don't really want to put a ton of energy into writing these. I'm mostly doing it as a recommendation kind of thing. A quick couple of paragraphs with my rating on the bottom, and then you can see for yourself if you like it or not. I dunno. Maybe, maybe not. Just go with me on this.

===========================================================


The Night of the Hunter 

Noir/Thriller, 1955
1 hour, 33 minutes
Produced by Paul Gregory
Written by James Agee and Charles Laughton
Based on the novel The Night of the Hunter by Davis Grubb
Directed by Charles Laughton

Starring
Robert Mitchum
Billy Chapin
Sally Jane Bruce
Shelley Winters
Lillian Gish

"A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit. Neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Wherefore by their fruits, ye shall know them."

The Night of the Hunter wasn't too popular in its initial release, but has since gained a huge following as one of the best thrillers ever made. It's certainly one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen, shot by Stanley Cortez. Some people think black and white films are boring, but for what you lose with lack of color you make up for in stark contrast and shadows. Sure, you can have contrast and shadow in a color film, but it doesn't achieve quite the same effect. Really, it's incredibly beautiful, and often terrifying.
The Night of the Hunter is about a mysterious traveling preacher named Harry Powell. Powell one day discovers that a small fortune is hidden at a household in a small town. The home belongs to the Harper family. The money was stolen by Mr. Harper and given to his son, John, to keep hidden. So when Powell arrives at the Harper household, little John must do everything he can to keep the money away from Powell. Eventually, shit kind of hits the fan, and it's really quite a compelling story.
The performances are all quite excellent. Mitchum steals the show as Powell, and little Billy Chapin does a pretty good job as John. Like I said before, the camera work and shot composition is incredible. My only real complaint is that it has a bit too much of a classic Hollywood feel. In particular the ending, which was left on a note that was far to cheery for my taste. Especially for a movie like this. Otherwise, I loved it.

9.8/10

If anyone is interested in checking this movie out, I recommend finding the Criterion Collection's release of the film. It's presented in its native aspect ratio of 1.66:1 (or 1.77:1 for the Blu-Ray release, no significant difference) instead of MGM DVD's 1.33:1 aspect ratio. 1.33:1 is a full screen ratio, whereas Criterion's aspect ratios boast a wide screen presentation.
I realize that only a few people might know what I'm talking about, but just roll with me on this and trust me. It'll look much better in a wider screen format.
Just trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment