Saturday, January 26, 2013

OSCAR PREDICTIONS 2013

So. Here we are. It's taken me a while to see everything as well as try to figure out what deserves what, but I've finally nailed it down... I think.
Honestly, the Oscars are really difficult to predict. Underdogs always take home the gold. Even if its a sure thing, it might not win. While there are some things that you can predict for sure (for example, Amour for Best Foreign Film simply because it got nominated for Best Picture overall) there's no telling what's what. Even trying to decide who I think deserves the awards in each category. I'm totally torn this year for Best Picture and Best Supporting Actor. I want Argo, Django Unchained, Silver Linings Playbook, Lincoln, and Zero Dark Thirty to all win. Seriously! I wouldn't mind if any of those movies won, but I'm doing my best to select the movies that deserve it more than others... oh well.
I was planning on going into detail for all of the categories but I won't.
Just for those who don't read things like these too often, when I say that something WILL win, it means that the Oscar is most likely to go to that film/person. When I say that something SHOULD win, it reflects my personal opinions on who deserves it. I probably don't need to clarify this but just in case... anyhoo, lets get a going:

========================================================================


BEST PICTURE
Amour
Argo - SHOULD WIN
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Les Misérables
Life of Pi
Lincoln - WILL WIN (TIE)
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty - WILL WIN (TIE)

Alright, let me explain for a second. As to who will take home the trophy, I think it could go either to Lincoln or Zero Dark Thirty. Really, its a 50/50 shot between the two. The Academy loves movies based on real shit, so either one is a winner. I've been running through it for a few days, and I have to say it really could be either one. That being said, I wouldn't mind if Django Unchained or Silver Linings Playbook took home the trophy. But as to which movie I think should win, I'd have to give it to Argo.

BEST ACTOR
Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln - WILL AND SHOULD WIN
Hugh Jackman, Les Misérables
Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
Denzel Washington, Flight


BEST ACTRESS
Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
Naomi Watts, The Impossible
Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook - SHOULD WIN
Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty - WILL WIN
Quvenzhané Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Alan Arkin, Argo
Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained - WILL WIN (TIE)
Robert DeNiro, Silver Linings Playbook
Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master - SHOULD WIN
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln - WILL WIN (TIE)

So much like Best Picture, I'm torn between a couple of these for who will win. While I would be happy with Waltz, Jones, or Hoffman, I have to say it's a close race for Waltz and Jones.
A lot of people are pissed about Leonardo DiCaprio's snub. So am I, but I still think that Hoffman deserves to win this one.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams, The Master
Anne Hathaway, Les Misérables - WILL AND SHOULD WIN
Helen Hunt, The Sessions
Jacki Weaver, Silver Linings Playbook
Sally Field, Lincoln

BEST DIRECTOR
Michael Haneke, Amour
Benh Zeitlin, Beasts of the Southern Wild
Ang Lee, Life of Pi
Steven Spielberg, Lincoln - WILL AND SHOULD WIN
David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook

Ben Affleck is, in my mind, the biggest snub for this category. He should've been nominated and won. Kathryn Bigelow should've gotten nominated as well.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Amour
Django Unchained - SHOULD WIN
Flight
Moonrise Kingdom
Zero Dark Thirty - WILL WIN

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Life of Pi
Lincoln - WILL WIN
Silver Linings Playbook - SHOULD WIN


BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Brave
Frankenweenie - WILL WIN
ParaNorman
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Wreck-It Ralph - SHOULD WIN

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Anna Karenina
Django Unchained
Life of Pi - WILL WIN
Lincoln
Skyfall - SHOULD WIN

I don't really feel the need to cover any more awards considering these are the only ones that I care about... except if Adele doesn't win Best Song for Skyfall, then I will be sad.

The Oscars are to be hosted by Seth MacFarlane take place on Sunday, February 24th.









No comments:

Post a Comment