Monday, February 11, 2013

Oscar Update - Feb 11

It's been a little while since the Oscar nominations came out, so everyone's trying to predict who's gonna win and stuff. People don't realize that other awards can influence the Oscar winners. Like if someone wins a Screen Actors Guild award then they have a better chance of winning than someone who didn't win.
So who's gonna take the cake? If you ask me, Argo is going to win Best Picture. So far, it's won the SAG for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture (basically the SAG's version of Best Picture), the Golden Globe for Best Drama, Critics Choice Award for Best Picture, and a bunch of other stuff.
But the craziest thing isn't the movie itself; it's Ben Affleck who's getting most of the credit. So far he's won TONS of awards for Best Director, he's on an insane hot streak... so why isn't he nominated at the Oscars for Best Director? Who the fuck knows. If you ask me it's an even bigger snub than Leonardo DiCaprio, because Affleck honestly deserves to win. I said Lincoln was going to win, but I think its gonna be Argo this year.
As for the other awards, Jennifer Lawrence has a pretty good shot since winning the SAG for Best Actress. She really deserves it.
As for everyone else, I don't know. I think it would be cool for Tarantino to win for Original Screenplay, but its a longshot made slightly shorter by his recent BAFTA win.

Whatever. Hopefully things won't suck this year.

Also I know this is random, but I'm sitting here watching TV and a trailer for the upcoming Dark Skies is on. It honestly looks terrible. Like, really really awful. Like when the dad is standing outside randomly at night and his mouth is just open? What the fuck is that? I don't know too much about horror movies, but when Keri Russel slams her head into the window I couldn't stop laughing, and neither could the rest of the theater. The trailer/wikipedia page tells you that it's aliens, so what's to be scared about? Come on.

On another note, I updated my Top 15 of 2012. Silver Linings Playbook is now at #7 from being at #14 or something... hell, it's probably #5 but I don't feel like changing it. Too much work.

A Good Day to Die Hard comes out later this week, so stick around for the "007 of Plainfield New Jersey." And don't listen to the naysayers. Die Hard 4 was awesome. Not as good as Die Hard 1, but that's to be expected. Nothing is better than Die Hard 1.

Peace in the middle yeast,
-Weitzel

No comments:

Post a Comment