Monday, February 25, 2013

Oscars 2013 Recap

"Argo tells the previously classified story about an American hostage rescue in post-revolutionary Iran. The story was so top secret that the film's director is unknown to the Academy." - Seth MacFarlane

Oscars were pretty good, right?
Seth MacFarlane was a fantastic host. He sang a song about boobs, gave Meryl Streep an introduction that will never be forgotten, and cracked a joke about Chris Brown and Rihanna that I laughed way too hard at.
He basically did stand-up all night, but it was totally fantastic. I definitely want to see him take the stage again.

As for the awards, I didn't do so well... I think I did OK where it counts. I really did expect Tommy Lee Jones to win, but I'm happy that Waltz won. The man deserves it.
As far as speeches go, I loved what Ben Affleck said. He was very passionate and basically gave his speech for Best Director, which he CLEARLY should have won... the Academy really fucked up on that. Tarantino had a great speech, the man really deserves it. Anne Hathaway and Jennifer Lawrence also had great speeches, as well as Adele who choked up quite a bit, then again, she fucking deserved it. Daniel Day-Lewis had a surprisingly hilarious acceptance speech.

People got played off by the Jaws theme, which was hilarious. Life of Pi won some technical awards, which it definitely deserved, but I'm still bummed that Roger Deakins lost for Skyfall's cinematography, but Life of Pi is still a beautiful movie.

Brave won Best Animated Feature, which is stupid as fuck because the Academy are a bunch of pussies because Wreck-It Ralph or ParaNorman didn't win. Pixar just needs to stop their pussyfooting and start making more awesome movies.

I expected the Bond tribute to be a bit more... not sucky. They played a montage and Adele sang and SHIRLEY BASSEY SANG MOTHERFUCKING GOLDFINGER but otherwise it should have been a lot more awesome, like, I don't know, at least the Bond's who wanted to show up should've shown up. So what if Connery didn't want to do it because he's old and retired or whatever, and yeah it wouldn't be the same without him but they should've done something more.


Highlights:

  • Ben Affleck's speech. Ben, you were the best director of 2012. 
  • Quentin Tarantino ends his speech with "Peace out!"
  • "I would argue though, the actor who really got inside Lincoln's head was John Wilkes Booth... Really, 150 years and it's still too soon? I've got some Napoleon jokes coming up, you guys are going to be so mad."
  • SHIRLEY FUCKING BASSEY
  • The cast of Les Mis singing some of Les Mis
  • Jennifer Lawrence winning. 
  • We Saw Your Boobs. Can I get this on iTunes?
  • [Introducing Meryl Streep] "Our next presenter needs no introduction." [Walks offstage]

Overall good show. This really was a fantastic year for movies, and I'm not just saying that. Tons of fantastic movies, and I can't wait to see what kind of good stuff comes out later this year.
For the full list of winners and nominees, click here.

Hope you all had a good Oscar experience!

-Weitzel

No comments:

Post a Comment