Sunday, February 24, 2013

Pre-Oscars Report + Some Other Stuff

Get this:
Robert DeNiro and Sylvester Stallone are making a movie together called Grudge Match. You're probably asking what could this movie be about, with such a strange pairing... well, it's about a couple of old rival boxers who want to come out of retirement for one final fight.
The Raging Bull VS The Italian Stallion.



HOW FUCKING AWESOME IS THIS GOING TO BE?!?!
And I'd like to say that for the record, Raging Bull is far better than Rocky. I love Rocky, but Robert DeNiro's performance as Jake LaMotta is one of the best performances in movie history.

One more thing: Watch this trailer for a new documentary about Batman, but it isn't quite what you'd expect it to be. This is why Batman is the greatest comic book hero of all time.

Okay, moving on.
Oscars are later today.
Cool.

So all sorts of awards have been given to various peoples for their various movies and shit, so I'm gonna quickly go through a revised predictions list, which is basically my ballot.

BEST PICTURE - Argo. At this point, it seems like a bit of a lock. It's won all of the awards that usually predict this category. Also it kind of deserves to win.

BEST DIRECTOR - Steven Spielberg for Lincoln, because it's Steven fucking Spielberg. If he doesn't win, then it'll be Ang Lee for Life of Pi, and I'm okay with that.

BEST ACTOR - Daniel Day-Lewis for Lincoln. It was a lock once he signed on the dotted line.

BEST ACTRESS - Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook. I'm going to make a bold prediction here and say that Lawrence could be the next Meryl Streep. So much depth to all of her performances, she's attractive, and everyone likes her. Who knows? Only time will tell.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR - Tommy Lee Jones for Lincoln. I'd like Christoph Waltz to win, but I just have a feeling its going to go to Jones. I've heard from big name predictions that Robert DeNiro could win as well. If that happened I wouldn't be too bummed.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS - Anne Hathaway for Les Miserables. She dreamed the shit out of that dream.

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY - I honestly think it could go to anyone with the exception of Beasts of the Southern Wild, but I'm putting Silver Linings Playbook on my ballot not really because I think it will win, but because I want it to. But yeah, realistically it could go to anyone.

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY - Django Unchained. Yes, I'm taking a big gamble with this one. I think Tarantino could really win this year. He should've won with Inglourious Basterds, but I think he can maybe pull off a miracle win. He hasn't won since Pulp Fiction, back in the 90s.

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM - Brave... ugh, I HATE to admit it, but I just have a feeling that it's going to take away the award on this one as much as I dislike it. I doubt the Academy knows anything about video games, because it should go to Wreck-It Ralph. Too bad they like to play it safe.

CINEMATOGRAPHY - Skyfall, because it isn't just a good movie but its fucking beautiful. Roger Deakins makes brilliant and beautiful use of color and framing in every shot. It's just a fucking beautiful movie. If not Skyfall, then Life of Pi. 

ORIGINAL SCORE - Skyfall, but it could easily go to John Williams for Lincoln.

ORIGINAL SONG - Skyfall. Come on, it's the best theme in YEARS, right up there with Shirley Bassey's Goldfinger.

ANIMATED SHORT FILM - Paperman... have you seen it? Come on.

VISUAL EFFECTS - The Avengers, because this. But Life of Pi could easily win as well. Beautifully animated animals and gorgeous backdrops make Life of Pi a second close.

PRODUCTION DESIGN - Les Misérables. Beautiful design, Lincoln could beat it though.

As for the other stuff, I don't really have much say in it or care to say much about it. I'll post my thoughts on the show later tonight.

The Oscars are on ABC at 7:30pm Central time.





No comments:

Post a Comment