Friday, December 14, 2012

THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY - Review

Before I get to the review, I'd just like to mention that my thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of the shooting in Connecticut. To me, it's absolutely absurd that we still have gun violence in today's society, especially now that it's happening so frequently. Every few months there's another shooting in a public place by some mentally unfit person with access to a gun.
I'm only going to say this: not everyone with mental health problems seek help. Guns laws need to be tighter because of stuff happening like this more often in malls and movie theaters. It's tragic, it really is.
Children die every day. It's an awful fact, but it's true. But when they're slaughtered by a sicko with a gun... I mean... shit, what am I supposed to say? I really am struggling to find the right words, the words that people won't take the wrong way, the words that won't make others accuse me of being wrong in some way, but I just can't seem to find them. And usually I can, in some way or another... but not today. Not today.

Anyway, enjoy my review of The Hobbit.

=========================================================================

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

2 hours 46 minutes

Fantasy/Action Adventure, 2012

Directed by Peter Jackson

Starring
Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins
Ian McKellen as Gandalf the Grey
Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield
Andy Serkis as Gollum/Smeagol
Graham McTavish as Dawlin
Ken Scott as Balin


"I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure..." 


The Hobbit is too fucking long.

I'd like to tell you that The Hobbit is better than the rest of the LOTR trilogy, but... I can't.
Don't get me wrong. I absolutely LOVE the book, and I feel as though Peter Jackson's adaptation is almost there. Almost. It's not quite perfect, but there are too many problems that take away from the overall quality of the movie, but it really boils down to one main reason.

It's TOO FUCKING LONG!!!

The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy are 2 completely separate entities. Whereas the LOTR trilogy is more of a sweeping epic with wars, kings, politics, armies, honor, backstabbing, friendship, etc etc, The Hobbit is, simply put, an adventure. I've seen all 3 LOTR movies and read The Hobbit, and just going into the movie, know that the overall story of The Hobbit is far superior to that of LOTR.
It's not an epic of any kind. They're not out to save the world from an ancient evil. It's about a bunch of dwarves, a wizard, and a hobbit who are trying to get some gold and slay a dragon.
Much simpler than the LOTR trilogy, right?
The Hobbit's problem is just that. It tries to do more than it really should. The book itself is just under 300 pages, whereas each of the LOTR books are maybe twice that length. So when they take the shortest book and give it its own trilogy, then, like, what the fuck? Two movies, I can understand. You don't want to leave anything out. That's fair. But Peter Jackson needs to stop himself. Just give me what's in the book and I'll be happy.
That being said, most of what makes the film longer is unnecessary exposition, particularly a lengthy stay in Rivendell and the appearance of another wizard other than Gandalf. It isn't exactly... bad, but it just doesn't feel important.
However, there is a new subplot/revenge story that easily works it's way into the film and really helps with the action aspect. I won't tell you what it is, but it works out quite well.
Martin Freeman is the perfect choice to play Bilbo Baggins because he's not an action hero. He perfectly portrays the humble and nervous little hobbit who becomes the hero. Sir Ian McKellen returns as Gandalf the Grey, and he's, well, Gandalf. Badass ol Gandalf. Just as awesome as he was in LOTR. Richard Armitage is pretty good as Thorin Oakenshield, and the rest of the dwarves are very funny and play well off of each other. Casting is all around perfect.
There's a bit too much use of CGI if you ask me, and for some reason the voice of the Goblin King or whatever he's called in the movie sounded... too human.
The strongest scenes in the film came towards the ending. Bilbo's game of riddles with Smeagol/Gollum is very entertaining, and there are a few fantastic fight sequences with the dwarves and the orcs.
The Hobbit's biggest problem is that it's too fucking long and it's length brings the whole thing down a little bit more than it should have. While the story is better than LOTR, it isn't quite captured perfectly in this adaptation. That being said, great performances, standout action scenes, and a good new subplot really makes the movie not completely awful. I just hope that in the future, the films scale back a little bit. The Hobbit isn't an epic battle for Middle Earth like LOTR, it's a fun and enjoyable adventure. But Peter Jackson still could've done better.

SCORE - 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment