Tuesday, November 20, 2012

CELEBRATION DAY - Review


I'd like to apologize in advance for this review. While I find it to be absolutely awful and scattered with no credible structure, it's basically me talking about how incredible Led Zeppelin is. It's probably more of an editorial than anything else. I've been very excited for this for a long time, and I really feel strongly in reviewing this. 
There are a ton of links to songs in the review. A few of the early links are studio with the exception of Achilles Last Stand, which is amazing live. A couple of the links towards the bottom are from the concert film itself, with that final Stairway being a link to an old concert from the 70s. 
If you don't want to hear me gush about Led Zeppelin, then at least give the links a try. Maybe you'll find something you'll like. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Celebration Day


Concert, 2012


Starring
Jimmy Page - Guitar
Robert Plant - Lead Vocals
John Paul Jones - Bass
Jason Bonham - Drums / Backup Vocals

"It's been a long since I rock and rolled. It's been a long time since I did the stroll. Ooh, let me get it back, let me get back, let me get it back, baby where I come from. It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time."



It really has been a long and lonely time, but it's finally here: MORE LED ZEPPELIN! The last time a Zeppelin album came out, it was in 2003, when How the West Was Won was released. And that was a live album too, all recorded in 1972. 
Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a MASSIVE Led Zeppelin fan, so this is pretty exciting for me. In 2007, Zeppelin got together for a reunion concert, and it was huge. It took them long enough to  release an official album of the concert, much less a film.
After listening to the album on its own, I have to say, the Zeppelin still has plenty of Led to spare. These guys are, if you ask me, the Gods of Rock and Roll. Their music still holds up incredibly well, and few bands even today have as much range as the Led does. They go from blues rock to folk rock to hard rock and everywhere in between. There's a little Led for everybody in their discography. And truthfully, there are other songs that I would have liked to hear them play in this album, such as Bring it On Home, Achilles Last Stand, When the Levee Breaks, Going to California, and What is and What Should Never Be. But then again, every Led-head has their own setlists they'd like to hear. At least they got the basics down just right. 
There's a strange beauty in watching live rock concerts as opposed to hip hop artists. Watching Jimmy Page wail on his Les Paul or his double-neck EDS 1275 is just incredible. Yeah, he's playing the same tunes you've heard before, but the intensity is just beyond powerful. When watching hip hop artists, they just kind of dance around the stage. Yeah, their skill might be good at free style rapping, but I find being able to play in instrument is a far more incredible skill than being able to come up with clever rhymes. 
But onto the film. As I said before, I don't know much about concert films, but the music is fucking amazing. These old dudes still know how to get the Led out. While listening to the album is great fun, there's nothing quite like watching a bunch of old wizards work their magic. The movie channels old Zeppelin concert videos such as The Song Remains the Same with the exception of the strange non-concert scenes. 
As far as concert movies go, I guess it's pretty well shot... but I'm no expert on this, so if it is actually very badly shot for whatever reason and you think I'm wrong, then go fuck yourself, this is Led Zeppelin we're talking about.
There isn't much to be said about the film that hasn't been said. Jimmy Page is still the greatest guitarist ever (and yes, I do prefer him to Jimi Hendrix (that doesn't mean I don't love Jimi, it's just personal preference)). I mean, watching a white haired 63 year old Jimmy Page work a guitar as if he were screwing it with the intensity of a thousand suns is just so badass. And while Plant's voice has certainly changed since the 70s, he's still a fantastic singer. John Paul Jones still just kind of stands there, but he's a fantastic bass and keyboardist. Jason Bonham, son of the Zeppelin's original drummer John Bonham, takes the reigns as the drummer. He certainly has the Led within him. He has made his father proud. This is without a doubt the best live Led Zeppelin album/film out there... but if you ask me, nothing will beat this particular rendition of Stairway to Heaven
This is turning into basically a tribute to Led Zeppelin, I don't really care. This album is great, this movie is great, this concert is great, and this band is the greatest in history.
Goddamn, I'd give anything to see these guys play live. Sure, the setlist isn't perfect, but that's just personal preference. It doesn't matter. These guys are my heroes. 

Forget 11; these guys took it to 12. 

Score - 9.8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment