Wednesday, November 07, 2012

GOLDFINGER - Review

Hey readers,
Just something to mention quickly before the review: all of my posts will have links to youtube videos and sometimes pictures. I wouldn't be adding links if they weren't relevant, and today's post has a lot of them.
Enjoy the review!

-Weitzel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Goldfinger

Action, 1964

Directed by Guy Hamilton

Starring
Sean Connery as James Bond
Honor Blackman as Pussy Galore
Gert Fröbe as Auric Goldfinger
Harold Sakata as Oddjob

James Bond has a pretty good track record: 50 years, 23 movies. And while most people are unanimous on Sean Connery being the best out of the 6 Bonds, many are divided on which film is the best. I think that it's Goldfinger.

To be honest, I can't really place exactly why I enjoy it so much. It's only the 3rd film in the series, following Dr. No and From Russia With Love. I think it's just really entertaining, much more so than most of the other Bond films. Goldfinger and Oddjob make for great villains, and Pussy Galore (what a name, right?) is one of the best Bond girls ever. Connery is as charming as ever. The theme by Shirley Bassey is personally my favorite Bond theme, even better than Paul McCartney's Live and Let Die.

In Goldfinger,  Bond is sent to investigate bullion dealer Auric Goldfinger, who they believe is smuggling gold internationally. Things naturally take a turn for the worse, and things escalate rather quickly. Goldfinger is actually a very entertaining villain probably due to the amount of screen-time he gets. He has some great lines, and his master plan is actually pretty genius.

I'll say it again, it's difficult to say why I like it so much. Most of what I look for in a movie is if it's entertaining or not. Because if you have a movie that isn't entertaining, then what's the point? If you ask me, out of all 22 Bond films that I've seen, Goldfinger stands the test of time. Watching the Bond films as a kid, Goldfinger is the one that I always come back to with the fondest of memories, while many of the others were lost in the wind. To this day it stands as my absolute favorite Bond film.

Memorable Quote - 
Bond: "Do you expect me to talk?"
Goldfinger: "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

On the Upside - One of the most entertaining Bond films ever made with tons of memorable moments.  Goldfinger is probably the best villain in the series canon, and for the most part, the film holds up well, except...

On the Downside - Some of the fistfights don't hold up. Then again, the movie is almost 50 years old.

Score - 9.7/10

Weitzel will return tomorrow with a review of Skyfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment